This Driver Held More CDL Jobs Than You
Below, you can see an overview of the over 30 (!) different CDL driving jobs that "Skip" (not his real name) held before finally finding a fracking job, which he plans to keep for a while. Skip's job history took place for a nearly ten-year period starting in 2003. A few things about the table below:
- Many of the jobs Skip held were part-time, and that was because Skip only wanted part-time driving work when he held these jobs. They were Skip's choice. Skip wanted us to leave out company names, but the jobs listed were real jobs held by a real driver. The wage information, for example, is accurate.
- The "weekly avg." column shows Skip's average earnings per week for each job in U.S. dollars. These were calculated by taking the average number of hours that Skip worked each week times the hourly wage, if the job paid hourly. If a job paid by the load or by the mile, then the average weekly amount was calculated based on how much distance or how many loads, on average, that Skip drove each week. Many of the hourly jobs paid around $14 to $16 per hour for 20-30 hours of work (roughly) per week. Not a high amount, to be sure, but again: many of these jobs were "part-time" and therefore lower-paying. Any oilfield job will pay much more (as Skip himself has learned).
- Several of these jobs were assigned to Skip from a single staffing company which specializes in CDL drivers. Skip decided to break out each individual assignment so that he (and you) could see at a glance some of the different driving situations that he found himself in.
- You can sort the table data by clicking the top of any column. Click again to reverse the sort order.
- Have a question for Skip? He'll gladly try to answer it. Send him a question via our contact page...
|Company||Equipment||Weekly Avg.||Pay Type||FT/PT||Summary|
|10||Wholesale Cleaning Products||Straight Van||290.00||Hourly||PT||Delivered pallets of janitorial products to stores and warehouses|
|16||Industrial Molds Manufacturer||Straight Van||450.00||Hourly||FT||Nice truck but micromanaging boss with no people skills|
|17||De-Icing Fluids Vac Truck Service||Straight Tanker||400.00||Hourly||PT||Great pay, weekends only gig, easy work, ended too soon|
|12||Steel Products Delivery||Straight Flatbed||350.00||Hourly||PT||Another unsafe gig where truck had bad brakes, not well maintained|
|1||Bottled Water Delivery||Straight Van||675.00||Commission||FT||Paid a base amount, plus commission of total deliveries/sales|
|26||Pipe and Plumbing Manufacturer||Straight Van||100.00||Hourly||FT||Another risky gig: no training on loading procedures, unsafe loads|
|19||Fuel Transport*||Straight Tanker||1050.00||Hourly||FT||Great pay but this outfit was under investigation by DOT|
|4||Family-Owned Lanscape Company||Dump Truck||660.00||Hourly||FT||Drove small single-axle dump truck delivering top soil and fertilizer|
|31||Bulk Water Hauling||Conv. 10 spd., Tanker||375.00||Hourly||PT||Great training for future fracking job gigs requiring tanker know-how|
|7||Bulk Trash Hauling to Landfills||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||400.00||Per Load||FT||Awful company, unsafe trucks, low pay, unethical owner|
|9||Yard Trailer Jockey||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||275.00||Hourly||PT||Move 53' vans to/from nearby warehouses|
|11||Small OTR Contracter||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||600.00||Per Mile||PT||Very unsafe equipment: trailer lost wheels, fortunately no injuries|
|13||Small LTL Contracter||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||175.00||Hourly||PT||Delivered products to warehouses for major auto firm, decent trucks|
|14||Large OTR Trucking Company||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||600.00||Per Mile||PT||Signed up to work 7/7 OTR gig but only attended orientation|
|15||Furniture Manufacturer||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||575.00||Per Load||FT||No-touch freight, but expected to drive over HOS limits|
|18||Wholesale Cleaning Products||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||425.00||Hourly||PT||Easy 250 mile round-trip 3x per week for fair pay, but bad trucks|
|20||U.S. Mail Contractor||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||1050.00||Hourly||FT||Another decent gig but holiday season only during Dec. 2008|
|21||Mobile Storage Container Transport||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||475.00||Hourly||PT||Temp gig, fairly easy work and all local runs, but shoddy equipment|
|22||Retail Store Logistics||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||250.00||Hourly||PT||No-touch deliveries of retail goods to major retailer, all local|
|23||Testing Service for Truck Manufacturers||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||500.00||Hourly||PT||Great gig: emissions testing on semis, 500 mile runs, no-touch|
|24||Wholesale Medical Products Delivery||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||625.00||Hourly||FT||Lousy company: too demanding, bad mgmt., bad pay, no OT|
|25||Retail Store Logistics||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||125.00||Hourly||PT||Expected to move 53' vans through residential areas; too risky|
|27||Large OTR Trucking Company||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||150.00||Per Load||PT||Hired on to work part-time runs: 500 mile r/t's 3x per month|
|28||Cardboard Recycling for Major Retailer||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||300.00||Hourly||PT||Great gig: very easy work, lots of sitting but paid by hour|
|29||Family-Owned OTR Trucking Company||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||200.00||Per Load||PT||Cheapskate company: drivers treated like commodities|
|30||U.S. Mail Contractor||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||440.00||Per Load||PT||Good pay for a family-run business, but equipment not the best|
|32||Family-Owned OTR Trucking Company||Conv. 10 spd., 53' Van||100.00||Per Load||PT||Last bad gig before getting oilfield work: awful pay, awful equipment|
|6||Carpeting Manufacturer||Conv. 10 spd., 48' Van||750.00||Hourly||FT||Very tough: unloaded heavy carpet rolls off trailers in summer heat|
|8||Wholesale Ice Cream Delivery||Conv. 10 spd., 48' Reefer||750.00||Hourly||FT||Decent gig: delivered pallets of ice cream products to stores|
|2||Construction Company||Conv. 10 spd., 48' Flat||420.00||Hourly||FT||Trained to drive a flatbed hauling construction equipment|
|3||Restaurant Grease Collection||Conv. 10 spd., 40' Tank||600.00||Hourly||FT||Pulled grease trailer, picked up grease for recycling|
|5||Welding & Industrial Gases Delivery||Conv. 10 spd., 28' Flat||1100.00||Hourly||FT||Highest paying gig; also most hours per week on avg. at 55/week|